Nursing homes offer the most extensive healthcare anyone can get outside a hospital. These facilities provide services that range from custodial care, such as bathing and eating, to skilled nursing care that can include rehabilitation services as well as medical monitoring and treatments. Qualified, health care professionals such as nurses and therapists are constantly looking after the needs of nursing home residents for best care outcomes.
While the difference between custodial care and skilled care is an essential deciding factor in which nursing home in Singapore to engage, it’s also useful to understand that nursing care can be provided for different lengths of time.
The majority of local nursing homes offer both short-term and long-term services to cater to different elderly needs.
Short-Term & Long-Term Nursing Home Care: What’s the Difference?
Long-term services are generally provided to seniors with chronic and/or progressive conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, or debilitating stroke.
In these cases, the resident’s needs are likely to increase and become more complex over time—hence the need for regular assistance and care. While bathing the elderly is one thing that you as a family member can safely take on, other tasks such as changing a colostomy bag or nasogastric tube require professional, around-the-clock supervision.
As the name suggests, short-term services, on the other hand, is temporary – Provided for someone who is, for instance, recovering from a surgery, injury, or illness that is expected to improve.
These type of services can last anywhere from days to months until the patient is fully recovered. Below, we’ll elaborate further on the cases that warrant short-term nursing home care.
When Do You Need Short-Term Nursing Home Care?
- Post-Hospitalisation Care – Short-term care is available for the elderly to assist them in transitioning from the hospital back to their homes. A custodial caregiver can assist with activities of daily living (ADLs) like bathing, dressing, and mobility to help them recuperate faster.
- Medical Services – Depending on the senior’s needs, skilled care may also be provided for dressing wounds, medications, monitoring of vital signs, and conducting therapies. For instance, following a stroke, an elderly may need short-term physical therapy to regain balance and coordination.
- Respite for Carers – Besides helping the elderly recover, short-term nursing home care can also be viewed as a respite for caregivers who have, for a long time, been taking care of their loved ones. Being a caregiver can be a physically and emotionally demanding job, and burn out can cause much frustration for both themselves and their care recipient. Sometimes a little break is needed in order to bounce back stronger and refreshed.
Short-term nursing home care will also come in handy during times where caregivers have to travel, whether it’s for a business trip or for a holiday to unwind. If you are a caregiver, remember: Looking after yourself allows you to better attend to your loved ones.
Short-Term Care at Orange Valley Nursing Homes
Here at Orange Valley, we offer respite care that will give you the assurance that your loved ones are well looked after and comfortable with loving companionship. Our qualified healthcare professionals in our nursing home can better manage resident’s medical conditions and provide individualized nutritional meal plans.
Our healthcare professionals provide convalescent nursing care, medical consultation, and post-surgery rehabilitation to help with their recovery and healing process. Our facilities are designed to accommodate the individual needs of your loved ones with assistance in activities. Some of our other services are as follows:
- Initial assessment by a healthcare professional
- Dietary assessment with individual nutritional meal plans
- 24-hour emergency response services and security
- Daily laundry services
- Daily group activities
Besides respite care, we also offer home care and daycare services for the elderly in Singapore.
Orange Valley Nursing Homes is one of the leading nursing homes and elder care provider in Singapore. We are located in 5 locations across the island at Balestier, Changi, Clementi, Marsiling and Simei.